Apple Upside Down Cake
It’s apple season and I already went apple picking, so I will be making lots of delicious apple recipes! Here’s one of my fall favorites, apple upside down cake.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (skip if you use salted butter)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tbsp more for sprinkling over cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Apple cider
- 2 small baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/3-inch cubes (I like Pink Lasy, Honeycrisp or Fuji)
- 1 large baking apple, cored and sliced approximately 1 cm thick for bottom of cake. Do NOT mix in batter.
Method : Combine Sugar & butter, make sure butter is soft to make the mixing process easier. Once thoroughly mixed, slowly add all other ingredients and combine.
Preheat over at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 9 inch round baking pan with non stick spray or rub with butter. Line bottom of pan with slices apples. Pour batter on top of apple slices spreading carefully to avoid moving decorative slices on the bottom. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of granulated sugar on top and bake for approximately 40 mins.
Once baked flip upside down to reveal the apple pattern. Serve with topped with whip cream or vanilla icecream & caramel sauce.
Avi Y R.